Google’s “Google Chrome” Browser

Update:  Google Chrome is now available.   I’m only starting to test it but it seems very, very fast, intuitive, and impressive.

——–  earlier ———–

Google will soon launch an internet browser in what promises to be one of the most significant online developments in some time.  Based on the comic book intro they’ve used to warm up users to the new application, Google Chrome will effectively turn the browser into an operating system.    Perhaps the most significant change is that Chrome will open new tabbed windows for each application it runs (much like MS Windows).    This feature should help isolate problems during browsing and Google says it will create a superior environment for running the many embedded applications that are now part of a typical browsing session.    I’m not clear yet if this is fundamentally different from opening several internet explorer or FireFox browser windows which is also fairly typical.

In any case Google’s entry into the browser market is likely to shake up the online landscape, where only FireFox and Microsoft IE Explorer have any significant market share at about 20% for FF and about 79% for Microsoft IE.    Google promotions of Firefox have been largely responsible for it’s success, so it’ll be interesting to watch how this move affects the browser equation.

Browser software does not monetize directly, but since it is the gateway to the internet it’s a key part of the online revenue equation.   Were it not for the antitrust lawsuits against Microsoft it is almost certain that MS would have a much greater search market share as they could have made it much more difficult for users to change their search choices and could have taken advantage of the integration of the browser and the Windows operating system.   Thanks to the rules imposed in the Microsoft lawsuits and Google’s superior search, Google has been eating Microsoft’s search lunch for years.   This move, unless it backfires, will consolidate Google’s search dominance at the expense of MS and to a much lesser extent Firefox, which is an open source non-profit but also makes tens of millions each year from Google search revenues which are likely to diminish as people move to Google Chrome.

About these ads

This entry was posted in Google, internet, news and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Google’s “Google Chrome” Browser

1. Pua says:

Mostly I use IE as my everyday browser but when stuck, and that happens quite often, I switch to the more reliable FF. Will be interesting what the new Google browser is like. I guess people are tired of IE.

2. JustaDog says:

Chrome is Open Source (good) and actually include parts of Mozilla code. If I can find the time I’ll get the source, scan it for bad stuff (like logging keystrokes, sending back info to Google, etc.) then compile it myself and check it out.

IE? NEVER!

3. glenn says:

my first forum post from Chrome…now I am sure Google is tracking every single thing I am doing now!!!

Thanks Glenn – testing it now. So far…FAST!

5. Glenn says:

This article speaks about the changes to the Google EULA where Google had previously stated a right to license anything created within Chrome…Google has some serious bollocks for putting that in there to begin with.

At least someone has knocked some sense into one of their lawyers.

6. Metroknow says:

Honestly, after testing Chrome today, I think Google may have found the elusive Office Killer App that they’ve been hunting. I am now using Chrome for GMail and Google docs (which I use almost exclusively now) in the Chrome window, and FF for my general browsing. I like the FF plugins that I have, which keeps me using FF, but Chrome as an Office tool is AWESOME. I love the separation of work space (email, office) from browsing space. And the desktop shortcut feature is cool too.

One bug: chrome does not handle my semi-antiquated intellimouse scroll button – won’t scroll up.

7. horatiox says:

… it seems very, very fast, intuitive, and impressive

Agreed, somewhat, at least after one finds the tweaks and Options. Nicely minimalist design, though having the bookmarks always popping up sort of a pain (that can be disabled ah think). “Under the hood” well done tooo. Tested—Troll tested, that izz–via altered proxy settings and outperforms IE.

8. glenn says:

Heads up on see key security issues around Chrome…

Read the article carefully.

9. film fan says:

there are so many advantages and features with Chrome, such as it’s speed, for example; now if only they would take care it’s quirky cookie management…